On 1 February 2023, EGMF co-signed a joint industry statement on the European Commission’s legislative proposal for a Data Act. The statement calls on the European Parliament and Council to recognise the importance of data in contributing to the European economy and the need for a regulatory framework that provides stability, clarity, and certainty.
The statement proposes specific requirements for the Data Act, including:
- Protection of trade secrets, privacy, and security
- Clear definitions for data and data holders
- Recognition of the role of flexible contractual terms
- Differentiation between B2B and B2C contexts
- Strict conditions for B2G data requests
- Promotion of cloud adoption
- No new obstacles to international data flows
- A longer transition period of at least 36 months
The full text of the joint statement can be found here.